Monday 22 August 2011

Milano

The first description that comes to mind of Milan is that it is one of the fashion capitals in the world, but in addition to that, Milan is the main industrial, commercial and financial center of Italy. 
We planned to stay a day in Milan to do some shopping and sightseeing, but little did we know - Milan is pretty much completely shut down on Sundays. So we didn't really get much out of our visit there.
Duomo di Milano (Milan Cathedral)

After a very disappointing tour of Milan, we decided to go back to our hotel and grab dinner nearby. 
Ristorante Il Vecchio e il Mare
Linguine and clams 8.50
I thought there would be a heavy cream sauce with the linguine and clams, but I was happily surprised by it. Noodles were a little softer than al dente, clams were tiny, but it was a hearty portion and it tasted ok. 

Grom
Right: Pistacchio and Zabaione; Left: Lampone and Crema di Grom (2.5 for two scoops)
Pistachio had a "grainy" texture which made it seem a little more authentic; the Zambaione is a traditional Italian dessert of a rich, creamy egg pudding with sugar and wine. It was definitely a flavour unique to Italy. 
The Crema di Grom was really delicious! According to the website, the Crema di Grom is made of egg cream, "meliga" biscuits and dark chocolate from Columbia. I tried to pair it with the lampone (raspberry sorbet), but I found the sorbet was too tangy (borderline sour) and strong - I think I should stick to gelato. 

McDonalds' Pistachio McFlurry (2.10)
Italy is all about the pistachio desserts - they served the nuts everywhere. I decided to jump on the bandwagon and see what the obsession was all about, so I ordered my first pistachio gelato in Venice and pistachio dessert in Rome and I haven't gone back. 
Now I've capped it off with a pistachio McFlurry in Milan which was AMAZING. They need to start this trend in North America ASAP! I'd take a pistachio McFlurry over any other McFlurry offered in Canada.

We picked up breakfast on our last day at
B-Floor
Top: Pistachio croissant & Bottom: apricot jam tart 1.80 
Everything looked appealing and yummy at B-Floor's Music Restaurant. The crossiant was good, but the apricot jam tart wasn't as nice as it looked. The tart crust was very crumbly and the jam was mediocre. 


No comments:

Post a Comment