Friday 20 April 2012

Lou Dawg's Southern Sandwiches

Huge bar area, but there weren't that many tables. The place felt like a cross between a restaurant and a bar/club (but they haven't decided which they'd rather be).

2 meats and 2 sides
From the bottom right: Meaty BBQ Beans, Potato salad with honey mustard dressing, pulled pork and beef brisket with bread.
What appeared to be a rather small portion size of each dish turned out to be a LOT of food all together. The pulled pork and beef brisket were melt-in-your-mouth, succulent, tender morsels of meat packed with amazing flavour! 
As for the side dishes, I was expecting a light honey mustard dressing on the potato salad, but it turned out that you could really taste the mustard flavour (and there were even mustard seeds). I'm not a fan of mustard  - so I really didn't like the potato salad. On the other hand, the meaty BBQ beans were phenomenal! I think there were chunks of the beef brisket in the beans (which made it even better), but WOW - I think that side dish was one of my favourite parts of the meal - YUMMY!

3 meats and 2 sides
From the bottom: beef brisket, pulled chicken, pulled pork, black bean corn salad with chipotle lime dressing, sweet potato fries and bread.
My friend got this combination and I ended up stealing some of the chicken (I wasn't brave enough to order it because I was afraid it might be too dry). The chicken was REALLY good! It wasn't dry at all and it was meaty and soaked in that great sauce that they have - you really can't go wrong with their meats here! The other part I loved about this meal was the black bean corn salad - it was colourful, fresh and delicious! I kept eating it only to realize after a few forkfuls that it actually has a spicy tang to it (after which I did a desperate dive for my Tennessee Ice tea with Jack Daniels, Honey and Lemon - sweet reprieve!)

St. Louis Style Ribs (full rack)
What a huge rack of ribs! There was a ton of mouthwatering meat drenched in their bold Smoky BBQ sauce. It really made you gnaw at the bones to get all the meat and sauce - but beware! It has a bit of a slow burning kick to it. 

Overall: I love this place! I'd totally recommend it if you're in the area for great Southern Style BBQ, good drinks and awesome live music on Friday nights. The few complaints I had were slow service and a lack of tables, but otherwise it was great!

Website: http://www.loudawgs.com/flash.html
Lou Dawg's Southern Sandwiches on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment