Thursday 16 August 2012

Pondicherry Caters (Tasty Thursdays)

I think the appeal of Food Trucks is that it's exciting to try out a new restaurant or place that doesn't have a set/permanent location. It's quite a novelty to be able to say that you were the first to eat at a new and diffcult to get to (or follow) place. The same principles apply to food festivals: a lot of vendors who don't normally have a permanent restaurant can set up and show off their culinary delights at their booths. 
Malaysian Cuisine

What is a Murthabak?  

Chicken Murtabak
The chicken and potatoes had the curry flavour from the garam marsala. There was a smidgen of spiciness which accentuated the flavour of the curry. I loved the pancake it was wrapped in - perfectly soft and chewy, but with a harder crispy outer shell. Delicious!

Beef Murtabak
When I originally ordered, I asked the woman about the spiciness of the murtabaks and asked which one was least spicy. She told me that the murtabaks were mild to medium and that the chicken was the least spicy out of the three options. After I tried the beef murtabak, I realized she was totally wrong: the chicken was spicier. I noticed that there wasn't a lot of meat in either of the murtabaks, but there was a lot of potatoes - maybe that helped reduce the spiciness of the murtabaks. 

Overall: This was my first experience with Malaysian street food and it turned out pretty well. I wish they served more meat in the curry, but the roti was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment