Tuesday 21 August 2012

Terroni (Queen West)

I've heard good things about Terroni and I couldn't wait to try it out. (It also helps that Jake Gyllenhaal has been spotted here twice!)
I didn't know they had a patio until I got there and saw the sign. After which, I immediately requested that we wanted a table outside.

Awesome right?

Bread with Olive Oil 

Mangiabbun: white pizza with mozzarella, garlic, rapini and spicy sausage
This was really nicely done! Crispy just-taken-out-of the-oven crust and super melty hot cheese topped with their great spicy sausage and tender grilled rapini. It helped that we were starving and it came out super quick - great way to start off the meal (we shared it as an appetizer).

Cavatelli cu Pisci Spada
Handmade cavatelli, house smoked swordfish, fried eggplant, tomato sauce, basil, mint and chili 

I don't normally see swordfish on a menu, so I figured this dish of swordfish pasta was worth a try. I found that the swordfish meat was salty and a little tougher than most fish I've eaten and it was cut up in cubes which emphasized the toughness of the meat more. The cavatelli was cooked al dente, but I think it might have been better if it was a little softer to offset the tough swordfish cubes. The dish was okay, but I think I'd order something different next time I come to Terroni. 

Ravioli di Zio Paperone
Homemade ravioli stuffed with duck confit, fig, roasted butternut squash, sauteed with oyster, button mushrooms and parmigiano

Amazing! I was super impressed. The ravioli was delicate morsels filled with delicious stuff. Wow, I would totally order this next time. 

Spaghetti al Limone
Spinach, capers, parmigiano reggiano shavings, lemon, extra virgin olive oil 

We found this spaghetti rather plain. It was an interesting concept: lemon sauce but it didn't particularly stand out as a dish to me. It was good, but it didn't blow me out of the water.

Garganelli Geppetto
Dandelions, homemade spicy italian sausage, fontina, parmigiano, extra virgin olive oil 

This was SO GOOD - even our waitress said that all the kitchen staff rave about this dish. The pasta was al dente and different, but it was really the sauce and ingredients that made it an outstanding dish. I would really recommend this.

Then dessert:

Creme Caramel, Tiramisu, Torta Calda al Cioccolate
Tiramisu wasn't that amazing (despite reading all the reviews online). I've had better at Olio and Paese). The lady fingers were soft, but they weren't soaked in espresso or wine (so I thought they were dry). The mousse was nice though. The torta calda al cioccolate (flourless molten chocolate cake) was really yummy! Not too sweet and it just oozed chocolate when you sliced your fork through it. The crème caramel was okay, but not outstanding. 

Overall: The waitress was knowledgeable and helped us make some good choices (the mangiabun pizza and garganelli). They make really delicious Italian food that I would come back for. 

Website: http://www.terroni.com/
Terroni - Queen on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment