Sunday 19 May 2013

Owl of Minerva

The Owl of Minerva started out as a popular Korean restaurant in the Annex and gradually expanded to a whole bunch of locations around Toronto and GTA.
We went to the Owl location in North York.


The locations all have distinctively bright yellow signs.

 
Menu

The variety of side dishes: spicy cucumbers (refreshing), kimchi (not too spicy) and spicy radishes (a bit spicier than the kimchi)


L.A. Kalbi
We got a small order and it was quite huge! 3 slices of the spare ribs marinated in sauce and grilled until the meat was tender. Delicious!


Bulgogi lunch special
You get an order of the bulgogi dish, rice on the side and a drink for under $10 - pretty good deal.
The bulgogi was nice - there was enough sauce and it was pretty tasty and colourful with all the stir-fried vegetables.


Pork Bone Soup
For fans of pork bone soup, the soup is usually spicy and filled with gigantic chunks of bone with tender meat falling off the bones. In this case, it didn't really have the heat from the spicy broth (even for someone with little or no spice tolerance). However, they put in a lot of Asian spices to make it more flavourable - I actually think I like the Pork Bone Soup at Galleria more.

Bibimbap
I was having an off-day when I ordered this (considering I can't eat spicy food and a key component of this dish is the spicy sauce that goes with this dish). I found it a little dry for my liking (for obvious reasons - fail on my part) and after trying a bit of the sauce, I couldn't bring myself to use the tangy spicy sauce that came with my order cause I was a little overwhelmed by the heat. It looked pretty.

Overall: Owl of Minerva is a good place for Korean food that's relatively cheap and fast. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review! I've been so curious about this place, I pass the Dundas one all the time on the streetcar. I actually thought it was Chinese food :p

    ReplyDelete