Friday 2 January 2015

Celestin

Update: Restaurant has closed. 
January 2, 2015
We liked Celestin so much that we bought another Groupon and came back.


Lobster with squid ink ravioli
I think the concept was really creative, but the actual dish fell a little flat for me. The squid ink ravioli looked cool, but squid ink has a distinct taste and I felt the sauce didn't really complement it.


Escargot Bordelaise
In this case, I felt like the plate emphasized the small portion of escargots. It was okay, but definitely not the best snails we've had - I feel like a simple butter sauce would have been better than this sauce.


Steak Frites
The steak was cooked to a medium rare and it was decent.


Cassoulet
We liked this dish last time, so we ordered it again. However, this time the dish was really dry and a little blander without seasoning.


Civet de Lapin
Braised rabbit with red wine sauce
I thought this would be good! The French are known for making a good rabbit, but I didn't really like it. I'm not sure if it was the red wine sauce or the braised rabbit, but something didn't work for me here.

Overall: Again, service was REALLY slow. Granted it appeared to be a busier than usual Friday night, but the food came out at a snails pace and it wasn't as good as the last time we were here.

December 2, 2014

Celestin has been running a promotion on Groupon for a while offering $70 worth of French Dinner Cuisine for $39. I've heard about Celestin's classy French cuisine for a while, so I figured this was a good opportunity to try it out with the Groupon. 
The restaurant was located in a former bank and has a nice elegant feel to it.

  

Grenouille Sautée
Frog legs with garlic tortellini and parsley puree
The frog legs were nicely grilled and the sauce was delicious. The tortellini felt a little out of place though. 

Veau Poêlé
The veal was nice, but my favourite part was the crispy potato ring on top. 
Cassoulet
Duck confit, cured pork belly and garlic sausage on braised beans
This dish was really beautifully done. Delicious and so tasty with the crispy duck leg, flavourful pork belly and soft sausage. The braised beans also absorbed the flavour from the meats and the sauce which made the whole dish a lot more cohensive. 

Molten Lava cake
Very tasty and chocolatey 

Semifreddo mousse
I liked the tart raspberries on top of the semi freddo mousse, but it really tasted like melted ice cream to me. 

Overall: Nice French meal at Celestin. The kitchen and the service was a little slow, but the food was delicious and pricey considering the portion sizes.

Celestin on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment