Saturday 14 October 2017

Restaurant Aux Anciens Canadiens - Quebec City

With the bus tour, I wasn't sure what time we were going to make it to Quebec City - and I was pleasantly surprised we made it before 6. I was really excited to get to eat the $19.95 menu. However, they said they didn't have any tables open when we got there at 5:30 and that we had to come back at 6:15. So I had the $49.95 menu instead. 

 Bread to share

Wild caribou and bison rilletes
I was super excited to try this since you don't usually see caribou on menus. The rilletes paste was really good and came with two pieces of toast and some carrots. 

Soupe

Beef Wellington with bordelaise and mushroom sauce
The presentation was a little lacking, but the beef wellington was really good even if the pastry wasn't super flaky. 

Grandma's treat with meatball ragout, Quebec meat pie, salt pork grillades and baked beans
I loved the variety of traditional and classic Quebec dishes on the plate! It was a lot of food - the best part was definitely the Tourtière (Quebec meat pie). It was really flavourful and tasty. The rest of the food on the plate was okay. 

Bison Bourguignon with blueberry wine sauce
Interesting spin on the normal bourguignon, but I think I like the classic beef version better.

\
Sugar Pie! 
So delicious and a great way to end the meal! 

Overall: I felt like I got the Quebecois experience with my meal from the wild game to the tourtière to the sugar pie. It was great and the restaurant was in a pretty quaint house - and we sat in a room with a fire place. It had a lot of rustic charm to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment