Friday 16 December 2011

The Sultan's Tent

Ambiance pictures: (Super dark inside - but really nicely decorated and suiting for the theme)
It was super dark in there and my Ipod Touch didn't have Flash - so I was left taking pictures in really bad lighting.

Round 1: First Course

I upgraded to the Duck Confit Salad which was delicious! The vinaigrette was perfect - we tried to dip the bread for the table into the vinaigrette to soak it up because it was so good! Who'd have thought that Champagne & Pomegranate together would taste so yummy? One one complaint about the salad was that the duck was all off on one side and there definitely was not enough duck for the salad. My friend had the Harira soup which was really strong for our tastes - felt like it totally cleared up our sinuses, but once we dipped the bread in and diluted the fragrant spices - it made it easier for us to finish the soup.

Winner: Duck Confit Salad -one word: vinaigrette!!!

Round 2: Second Course

  
Next I had the seafood briouats (seafood wrapped in flaky pastry) and my friend the maftoul (Moroccan cigars pastries). The pastries were very flavourful and nice. The seafood briouats were super filling - so much so that I didn't know if I would be able to handle the next two courses.

Winner: Maftoul - light and refreshingly different

Round 3: Third Course

 

The Braised lamb feast vs. Moroccan beef short rib. Again I have to reiterate, I'm not usually a huge fan of lamb, but I love the lamb here - they make it perfectly! Seasoned nicely and tasty morsels of fall off the bone lamb along side a portion of couscous and carrots and sweet potato cubes. I can't comment on the the way the couscous was prepared because I really don't like the taste and texture of couscous- to me: it's not rice and it's not quite the same as pasta and therefore, not high on my "yummy" list. 
On the other hand, the short ribs were delicious - tender and juicy and melt in your mouth goodness with mash potatoes and veggies on the side - what a great main course!

Winner: Moroccan beef short rib - yum!

Final Round: Fourth Course

At this point, my friend and I admitted defeat - it was a LOT of food during the course of 2.5 hours and I even got a belly dancing lesson between my third course and dessert (so I worked off 1/100th of my salad since I turned out to be a terrible belly dancer). The belly dancer was very talented and made the experience of learning a ton of fun! She let us tie the jingling scarfs on our waists and shimmy around - we tried to copy her actions but mostly it was just pretending to go along and trying not to step on her toes...

Anyways, back to dessert - we both got the Moroccan treats which were mostly cookies dusted with sugar and cinnamon. The cookies (especially the chocolate covered one) were great! Not too hard and not too soft and given the crazy 4 course meal we ate - a pretty nice way to finish off and end our meal on a good note. 

The Sultan's Tent is a great experience and I would totally recommend it to anyone interested in Moroccan food and a introductory belly dancing lesson! 


No comments:

Post a Comment