Friday 6 January 2012

Spring Rolls @ Yonge & Dundas


Spring Rolls introduced the All-You-Can-Eat Lunch Buffet for $14.99. 
Once upon a time, I was a fan of Spring Rolls since I used to work really late (sometimes until Midnight) and  my options for ordering dinner in Downtown Toronto were (1) Swiss Chalet, (2) Pizza, (3) Spring Rolls and (4) Go Hungry.
Given the options, I used to chose Spring Rolls a LOT and I think Spring Rolls used to be much better back then (maybe it's the franchising that's diluting the brand?). 
A few years later, they invented Orderit.ca (and all my late night dinner problems were solved).

Anyways, back to Spring Rolls:
Crispy Battered Tiger Shrimps and Vegetable Spring Rolls

The name of the Crispy Battered Tiger Shrimps sound appealing, but in actuality, it didn't live up to its name. I have no idea how they made it, but the fact that there were pieces of greenery in the shrimp batter was really gross and the batter didn't really feel that crisp (which meant they probably took it out before the shrimp were ready so that they could serve it fast). Also, of the two shrimp I tried, half the shells were still on the shrimp before they went into the batter - so I got an unpleasant and inedible surprise when I bit into the part near the shrimp tail.
The Spring Rolls were ok; usually you can't go really wrong with spring rolls. They weren't particularly tasty and I didn't like the sauce that much, but they were edible.

Chicken Pad Thai
It tasted like there was lots of ketchup in this Pad Thai since it was pretty sweet. The portion size was ok.

Dynamite Roll and Green Dragon Roll
This was awful - the avocado was super mushy in both rolls and the rolls were badly wrapped (they definitely weren't tight enough especially for the Green Dragon Roll). The Green Dragon Roll tasted so soft and semi-liquid that my friend thought there was mayonnaise. Terrible - don't ever order the sushi here. 

Gyoza
The Gyoza sauce was interesting, since I'm used to eating Gyoza with soya sauce. This was some kind of thicker seasame soya sauce or something - very different and I didn't particularly enjoy it. 
The gyoza on the other hand? I've had much much better in a seedy little izakaya in Gotemba, Japan. 

Conclusion: Bad food at an established food Franchise. Definitely not worth it - there's so many other fantastic options you can eat near Yonge & Dundas or even the Urban Eatery Food Court would be better than here (Thai Express has great Pad Thai). On the plus side, the service was fast despite the packed tables at lunch (but it can't beat fast food court service!)

Website: http://www.springrolls.ca/

No comments:

Post a Comment