Friday, 1 February 2013

Grace Restaurant

I literally got off a plane in Toronto, dropped off my stuff and went to eat at Grace for Winterlicious ($35 dinner). It was a small, cozy restaurant near College & Bathurst in Little Italy.
IMAG2183 IMAG2185
They mentioned the automatic 18% gratuity at the bottom of the menu. 

IMAG2186
Two types of bread and a nice brown sugar butter. 
Apparently refills of the bread were an additional $3. I really liked the butter, the bread was ok. 

(*Items I would recommend and/or order again)
IMAG2188 
Winter Greens with jarred pears, golden raisin dressing and spiced almond pulse
IMAG2187 
Sunchoke soup with parsnip fondu, sunchoke chips and chive
The soup was thick and salty with a distinct artichoke flavour and hint of almond. 
IMAG2190 
*Bison carpaccio with long pepper crust, apple and celery root slaw with truffle dressing
I thought it'd be great to try bison carpaccio and this was a beautifully presented carpaccio. It had a nice peppered outer crust and thin and delicate center. The oil was a little gratuitious and it was salty. I liked the contrast of the carpaccio to the crispy and delicious slaw. 

IMAG2192 
*Beef brisket with smashed mini reds, glazed carrots, kale and mushroom jus
The beef brisket was tender and tasty with a nice mushroom jus on top. I also enjoyed the kale salad with parmesan. However, the square block of potatoes (i.e. the smashed mini reds) were a strange addition to the plate for me and they were very salty.

IMAG2194 
Chocolate creameaux - dulce de leche, chocolate crumb, roasted marshmallow
Melty oozy marshmellow with a slightly burnt on top of a chocolate custard in a mason jar = s'mores without the graham crackers.

IMAG2195 
Cookies and ice cream - daily homemade selection
The ice cream was okay, but the cookie was dry with a peanut butter foam in the middle

IMAG2196 
*warm sticky date squares with lemon honey pastry cream and peanut brittle
Compared to the date cake I had in Thunder Bay, this one wasn't as good. I did like that it was warm and the date square was sticky in itself, but it just didn't stand out as much as the one I had earlier in the week.

Overall: The restaurant has a nice intimate feel to it and the food is nicely presented and carefully prepared. However, I wasn't particularly wow-ed by it.

Grace Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment