Friday, 1 April 2016

Valdez

Update: Restaurant has Closed.
Spanish Tapas! 
20160401_195109

20160401_201349
Whole fried Branzino
I love the Spanish/Portuguese way of cooking branzino - something about frying the European sea bass just makes it taste better.  The fish was flaky and tasty, but the rice and salad were a rather strange accompaniment. I think I would have liked something with a little sauce on the side since the fish was fried and a little on the dry side.  Also, the banana leaf was nice for presentation, but I'm not too sure if it added flavour anywhere else. 

20160401_201734
Meat platter
This was a sample platter of everything: from chicken wings, chorizo, ribs, arepas and other things I've never eaten before. Everything was tasty, but it was so much food for the three of us! 

20160401_201740
Assorted chips
I loved this! You could tell it was all home-made chips from the fried plantain slices to the other assorted root vegetables and it paired nicely with the guacamole and salsa. 

20160401_201931
Albondigas
Huge chunks of queso and big fat meatballs in this lovely tomato sauce 'soup'. So good! I really loved the sauce.

20160401_213124
Dessert
I forgot the Spanish name for this, but it looked like a bread pudding and ended up being really mushy inside and really sweet with some jelly/jam on top.  I wasn't really a fan.

Overall: The restaurant was loud and had a party/bar vibe.  The service was pretty good, but we had to keep asking the waiter for water since the food was a little dry. The food was pretty interesting since it wasn't just food from Spain, but there were things like arepas (Venezuelan/Columbian) and yucca (which I've associated with South America - namely Peru).

No comments:

Post a Comment