Saturday 20 September 2014

Alizé - Las Vegas

Vegas Strip at night from the Rio Hotel

Before we left for Vegas, I checked out Groupon and Travelzoo to see if we could get some good deals. I found a Travelzoo deal for Alize at the top of the Palms (5 course meal for 2 for $135) and a deal for the Penn and Teller Show at the Rio for $49.50.  So, we made the reservations and booked the show for Saturday night.

Alizé is a Michelin Starred French restaurant with a fantastic view from the 56th floor of the Palms Hotel.
 
Our Menu (we paid 1/2 the price with the deal)

Before the tasting menu:
Bread rolls

Amuse Bouche

1st Course
Maine Lobster Ratatouille
Such vibrant colours! The lobster was really nice and meaty and the sauce was really lovely.

Hamachi Tartare
Delicious! Beautifully presented and very tasty.

2nd Course
The options for the second course were between fois gras or blue cheese (neither of which we were fans of).
Point Reyes Blue Cheese - Strawberry Croustillant
This dish was pretty interesting; I didn't really expect a phyllo pastry baked with cheese inside on top of a light salad. I think it turned out okay.

Sautéed Fois Gras
I'm usually not a fan of fois gras, but I really liked this! I find cooking fois gras took away some of the heavy richness and it made the texture more palatable for me. I also liked the combination of the sweet fruits and the fois gras.

3rd Course
Roasted Mushroom Toban-Yaki
 I thought the presentation in the bowl was really nice, but I thought the mushroom flavour was rather overpowering in the Toban-Yaki.

Irish Salmon
I thought they cooked this really well! I liked the crispy crust on the top and the artfully arranged potatoes on the bottom.

An in-between "shot" after the mushroom Toban-Yaki

4th Course
Duck Breast
Perfectly cooked duck without the gamey taste.

Beef Rib Eye
The portion size seemed a little small, but it was tasty. I was a little confused by the side since it didn't seem like it went well with the beef.

5th Course (Yay! Dessert!)
Chocolate Soufflé and Grand Marnier Soufflé
Perfectly done soufflés! C'est parfait! Light and fluffy with molten chocolate oozing out of the chocolate soufflé and a creamy orange Grand Marnier sauce in the other. Of the two, I would highly recommend the chocolate soufflé for the pure decadence of chocolate on chocolate.

Some petit fours (chocolates) to finish:
Delicious hand-made chocolates with all sorts of different flavours and mixed with different nuts and ingredients. Yum! A perfect note to end our 5 course tasting menu with!

Overall: Fantastic meal at Alizé! The ambiance was nice and cozy, the view amazing, service was good and the food was really yummy.  And on top of that, we saved some money by buying in advance and getting a deal on a Michelin star restaurant! I left pretty happy. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment