Tuesday 1 September 2020

Ube and Ube Macapuno Ice Cream

Since I wasn't able to go to some of my favourite ice cream shops downtown this year for ube ice cream, I decided to try some brands sold in grocery stores. I originally wanted to try all the different brands including Magnolia and Fiesta (but they never went on sale at the right time and eating gigantic tubs of 1.5L of ice cream is no easy feat over a few weeks by myself - even though the weather has been REALLY hot in Toronto this year).
Sept 1, 2020
I waited until the next Sorbetero sale and got the pure Ube version for $4.99 again.


Such a pretty purple colour!
The ube version had a more bright and obvious ube flavour, and while it was more artificial, it sure packed a punch in the first bite. However, this time around, I found that it sort of loses flavour as you continue eating it. It wasn't as yummy or distinct as the first bite. Instead, the strong ube flavour seems to disappear after a while. It was also much meltier and softer than Best of Philippines ice cream. The Best of Philippines seemed like it was a harder ice cream. 

August 26, 2020

This week San Miguel Best of the Philippines Ice cream was on sale for $6.99 (regular price was $9.99)
Ube flavour
I got only the ube flavour this time (since I really just wanted ube). The Best of the Philippines ice cream had a slight grainy texture from ube and wasn't as creamy or smooth of an ice cream. Flavour wise, while it wasn't as strong as the Sorbetero, it had a more true ube flavour. The ice cream also wasn't too sweet and had a nice bright purple colour. 
While this ice cream was nice, I probably wouldn't get it again - I like the stronger flavour of the Sorbetero (even if it's a more artificial ube flavour). 

July 31, 2020
My first ube macapuno (or purple yam and young coconut ice cream)! Super excited to try this ice cream since I love ube flavour and coconut makes things much sweeter too! 
Hong Tai had a sale on 1.42L tubs of Sorbetero for $4.99
Unfortunately, my first try of my much anticipated ube macapuno ice cream was a little watery since the ice cream melted in the car due to the extreme heat wave. However, I found the taste was really good, if a little on the artificially strong flavour side, and the texture was smooth. 
It was really sweet from the coconut flavour and there were pieces of shredded coconut throughout the ice cream giving it a contrasting texture. The ube wasn't as strong or prominent in this ice cream, but you could see the purple ube in the ice cream and where it was purple, there was pretty good flavour. 
I really liked the Sorbetero Ube Macapuno ice cream and I would definitely get it again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment