Friday 3 February 2012

Bistro 990

 
The Winterlicious menu

Salade de chou frisé et d'épinards
Kale & baby spinach salad with feta, almonds, Bermuda onions & pomegranate vinaigrette
I found the kale salad bland, as there wasn't a lot of flavour in the dressing in the salad. 

Saumon fumé maison
House cured Atlantic salmon, watercress and grainy mustard dressing
The watercress salad was good, I felt that the onions were a nice touch. It was a little hard to eat since the watercress wasn't really cut up in pieces for me (I'm the type of person who finds it weird if I have to cut my greens in a salad), but the flavour was definitely there and it was definitely good. 
The salmon was ok, not the best smoked salmon I ever had, but decent. 

Filet d'espadon
Grilled New Brunswick swordfish, quinoa, black olive salsa, balsamic reduction
The Swordfish was really nicely done, not too tough and a little raw in the center. It had a nice texture and flavour to it and the size was quite suitable for dinner. I wasn't a fan of the quinoa and balsamic reduction because I found the balsamic too sweet, but when mixed with the tomatoes, quinoa and sauce - it worked better. Although, I still found that the mix was still too sweet for a dinner meal (they might have overdone the sugar). 

Pré et marée
6 oz striploin medallion, with jumbo tiger shrimp, garlic mash, & pearl onion jus
The steak was good, they didn't ask us how we wanted it and just gave us the striploin medium rare. Not the best steak we've had, but decent regardless. The potatoes were drenched in butter and felt way too heavy. 

Crème brûlée
The crème brûlée was nice, I like it when the top layer is relatively thick. Very simple and clean flavours. Enjoyable, but not spectacular. 
J’adore le chocolat!
Chocolate mousse torte, cherry compote
The mouse was nice, overall passable.

Gâteau hivernal
Warm walnut cake, apple cider sorbet, caramel sauce
The walnut cake was nice and would have been perfect with some fantastic ice cream or sorbet, but the apple cider sorbet fell flat. It tasted like frozen apple cinnamon puree. 

The service was really good at the beginning (probably because we got there before it was packed), and the ambiance was definitely very french bistro-esque. It got louder as the night went on and the place started getting packed. They serve very clean and classic dishes and the stereotypical small french portions. However, I'm not too sure I'd be back to try out their regular menu as I wasn't particularly impressed with my $35 Winterlicious meal.


Bistro 990 on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment