Friday 5 June 2020

Dessert Lady

June 5, 2020
Dessert Lady has opened up their two locations! Just in time for me to satisfy my craving for a proper hazelnut cake - I've been dying to eat a proper buttercream cake and Dessert Lady really does make the best hazelnut buttercream cake I've ever had. I pre-ordered my hazelnut cake online and asked them if they also had cake slices, pistachio cupcakes and pistachio mousse cups (and they were able to accommodate my order!)

Hazelnut Cake $38
This was SO GOOD! I think they use Piedmont hazelnuts which are these super fragrant Italian hazelnuts to add flavour to their delicious buttercream. The cake was filled with the delicious nutty flavour and there were even whole hazelnuts on top - AMAZING! The cake was actually also really good when frozen, but they do tell you to leave it at room temperature for about 1-2 hours for the buttercream to melt and it becomes even more delicious. I could eat this cake all the time (and I happily savoured it over a few days).

Pistachio mousse cup $6
I've also really missed their pistachio mousse. The dessert cup was fluffy and light with lots of pistachio flavour. Unfortunately, there seemed like there was more milk chocolate mousse than pistachio, but it was also really good with a perfectly fluffy texture.

Ube Coconut Cake slice $8.50
The ube coconut cake was so pretty with the marble buttercream icing. The cake was super moist and the ube buttercream was delicious and bright purple which made a nice contrast. The coconut flavour was also evident in the cake and there were even shreds of coconut in the cake which added an interesting texture (but I would have preferred more ube flavour).


Oct 4, 2019
Mini cupcakes!

Hazelnut, pistachio, passion fruit and carrot cake
The hazelnut and pistachio buttercream on the cupcakes is AMAZING! They managed to make the nutty flavours stand out and it tastes so good! I really liked their chocolate cupcakes too - they were super moist. The passion fruit and carrot cake cupcakes were really good too, but I was super impressed by the hazelnut and pistachio cupcakes - this might be my go-to spot for these two cupcakes.

Nov 6, 2018
Ube Coconut cake
The buttercream was really good. I really liked both flavours of the ube and coconut. There were lots of coconut pieces in the cake too. The cake was a tad drier with all the heavy buttercream, but it worked well when the buttercream melted a little. 

August 31, 2018

Raspberry Mousse cup and Key Lime tart
I didn't really like the crust on the key lime tart since it was so grainy. The key lime curd was okay, but it didn't really have a light airy feel. The mousse was on the tart side as opposed to sweet and tart. 
December 23, 2016
A mini pistachio mousse cake!
They did such an amazing job with the hazelnut mousse cake that I knew I had to come back and try the pistachio mousse cake. I pre-ordered the cake a few days before my friend's Christmas party and then brought it to the party. It went over pretty well! The mousse was tasty and not too sweet. 

July 13, 2016
Finally, I got my ice cream (after calling in advance)!

It was really interesting with avocado, coconut and lime flavours and toasted and chopped macadamia nuts. It was a pretty interesting balance with the texture of avocado (and hint of the flavour), coconut flavouring (which was subtle, but you could still taste it) and a tiny pinch of lime. I don't know if I was really a big fan of it - but it was refreshing and different. 

July 7, 2016
Attempt #2 at the Avocado Lime Macadamia Nut ice cream - which failed again since they didn't have the flavour I wanted.  The helpful staff told me that I could call to see if they had the flavour next time. While I was here, I saw the pistachio cupcake and knew I had to get it.
It looks like the most perfect pistachio cupcake ever. I have no words for how beautiful it is. 
There was an extreme heat alert in Toronto, so the cupcake melted on my journey back to work, but it was OH SO YUMMY! Fluffy, light and packed with pistachio flavour and a moist cupcake cake. It was heavenly. 
I also decided to get this Hazelnut Cake because it was adorable (and you never know when you might need an afternoon snack). 
Surprisingly - THIS HAZELNUT CAKE BLEW MY MIND - omg it was SO GOOD! It wasn't too sweet and had this delectable hazelnut buttercream icing between layers of fluffy chocolate cake. It was just so good and the perfect cake size for one. I'll definitely come back over and over again for their cakes because they're AMAZING!


July 5, 2016
While I was here yesterday, I saw some really interesting ice cream flavours and I recalled reading the Best scoops in the city in Toronto Life a while ago - and they named Dessert Lady's Avocado Lime Macadamia Nut as the top ice cream scoop in Toronto. I wanted to try the flavour, but they didn't have it today - so I settled for a guava lime sorbet:

Guava Lime Sorbet
This was a perfect scoop in the cup and it was so tasty and refreshing from the heat wave we've been having. It had a nice tartness from the guava and lime and some sweetness from the guava. Yum! 

July 4, 2016

I was a little early to meet up with some friends and I had a sufficiently bad day to merit some treats. Therefore, I went and splurged on some macarons and I was told that if I spent more than a certain amount, that I would get free fudge - so I bought an extra macaron and got my free fudge.
Macarons by colour: green = pistachio, pink = citrus champagne and blue = maple vanilla 
White chocolate fudge
The macarons were pretty good, but there wasn't anything that really stood out to me with the flavours (even though I love pistachio). The fudge was like eating a block of sugar - it kinda tasted gummy and flavourless. 

Dessert Lady Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment