Thursday 28 January 2021

Daan Go Cake Lab

Jan 28, 2021 
The Masterchef owner won an international award for his milk tea (so I was pretty excited to try it)
Milk Tea ($4.50) and Pandan Coconut Macaron 
The milk tea came in one size and cold. First thoughts were that it tasted like black tea with sweet evaporated milk and not really like Hong Kong style milk tea. When I took it home and heated it, it was MUCH better and actually tasted like HK milk tea, but on the sweeter side with the evaporated milk. It was a lot more flavourful with a smooth mouth feel and a good combination of the black tea leaves that stood out. I'm not sure it's worth the $4.50 price tag though. 
My first bite of the pandan coconut macaron could taste the pandan flavour, but then the later bites were more of the coconut flavour that slightly overpowered it. It was pretty good overall and the pandan coconut combination was great. 
Peach Garden and Cheesecake Fromage
The peach garden cake came with both yellow and white peach flavour and a crunchy almond base and osmanthus jelly layer on top. It was super pretty and had a ton of peach flavour from the peach jelly under the top osmanthus layer as well as peach cream and cake. I thought it was okay, but not necessarily something I'd get again (I'd go for the pandaan or milk tea cake). The bottom crust was rather soggy rather than crunchy. 
Cheesecake Fromage was made with white chocolate and lime passionfruit cheesecake and lime truffle mousse. The white chocolate outside layer was actually a thin layer of hardened white chocolate (didn't quite expect that) and the cheesecake turned out to be super tart lime with a bit of a soggy crumbly crust. (also not really a favourite).  

July 21, 2020


PanDaan cake $6.50 - pandan, coconut and chiffon cake
The chiffon cake was light fluffy and airy with a crunchy middle layer and a nice bottom crust. The cake also had a grainy coconut texture from the coconut shreds, but it didn't have a lot of pandan flavour. I found that even the cream cheese flavour was more than the pandan. 

May 31, 2020

Durian desserts are super popular in Asia, but not as much in North America. Durians are divisive fruits since they're so pungent - you either love it or hate it. Personally, I really like eating it and the flavour of it, but preferably in small doses since it does smell so bad. Daan Go has a popular durian cake that I've been wanting to try out for a while, so I stopped by to pick up a slice of the cake. 
Pretty packaging!

Gold Thorn Cake $7
There's so much durian goodness in this tiny slice of cake with durian mousse, durian puree, cheese cream and fluffy cake. The second I opened the box I could smell the durian and the flavour can really pack a punch. The cake was a little mushy at the top from the durian puree similar to the texture of durian and I loved the base at the bottom which was crispy and crunchy to add different textures.  

3:15 Cake with Hong Kong milk tea, Vietnamese Coffee and Ovaltine $6.50
The Vietnamese coffee flavour was strongest in this cake and it worked well paired with the milk tea mousse. I also liked Ovaltine pineapple bun crumb crunch. 

Lucky Duck with pistachio and lemon mousse $7
The pistachio cream was really good, but I found the lemon pistachio pairing kind of odd. The white chocolate duck had lemon inside which was a nice surprise! (The bathtub isn't edible, but the whole dessert was really cute). 

May 13, 2018

Super cute macarons - Pistachio, Hong Kong Milk Tea and Mango flavours
The macaron feet (cookies) were super crumbly and the filling inside the macarons wasn't really outstanding. I think my favourite of these was the Hong Kong Milk tea, but I probably wouldn't be back for their macarons. 




No comments:

Post a Comment