Thursday 7 May 2020

Rahier Patisserie

May 7, 2020 

Pistachio danish $2.79
Lots of crushed pistachios baked together with deliciously flaky pastry! It looked amazing with the swirls and it was really tasty too, but it didn't have as much pistachio flavour as I wanted (I was hoping for buttercream)

Frangipane $3.45
Baked tart with almond and raspberry inside. I was actually expecting the tart to have almond cream or paste inside, but the almond filling was fully baked inside. 

A selection of fruit tarts and cakes!
Mixed Berries Tart $6.95, Lemon Meringue Tart $6.95, Dumas cake $6.95, Easter Cake

Easter cake on the left with citrus white chocolate cheesecake with strawberry compote and strawberry glaze on a graham cracker base. Dumas cake on the left with hazelnut mousseline, dark chocolate mousse and hazelnut dacquoise . 
The easter cake was really good, I loved the graham cracker crust and the citrus cheesecake was a nice refreshing summer flavour. I would highly recommend this cake of the ones I've tried so far. The Dumas was nice with lots of chocolate and hazelnut flavour and the crispy parts outside the cake added a nice fun texture. 

Mixed Berries Tart and Lemon Meringue Tart
I'm a huge fan of their shortbread tart crust - they do a perfectly firm and tasty cookie crust. The mixed berries tart was nice with a lot of berry varieties, but the creme tutti didn't have a strong flavour (vanilla would have been a nice accompaniment). The lemon tart was sweet and tangy without being sour. 

Baked tarts with puff pastry and baked fruits: fig with almond cream and plum with vanilla pastry cream and apricot with apricot preserve and apple with vanilla pastry cream
The puff pastry was fantastic and the tarts were all really pretty. Flavour wise: the apple was definitely the strongest flavour and my favourite (definitely try this!). The plum and apricots were nice, but I wasn't really wow-ed by them. I generally don't like figs, but the tart was really pretty so I tried it - the almond cream was good, but I'm still not a fan of figs. 

April 21, 2020
Rahier is open for take-out during the Covid-19 pandemic! The hours are reduced, so you may want to call ahead to confirm. I called one day ahead to place my order since I was unsure about the cakes and tarts available. They were super accommodating with my order and made everything I asked for (usually you have to call 48 hours in advance). 
Pompadour with pistachio and hazelnut buttercream $6.95 and baked pear tart $5.95
I love their crust on the pear tart - the pears were nice, but I almost prefer a stronger flavour (will be back to try the apricot and apple tarts). 

Pompadour
The pistachio and hazelnut buttercream were lovely and chocolate ganache was nice. However, I felt like it was almost missing some kind of sweet fruity flavour or something to complement the strong nutty flavour of the dessert. 

Clockwise from top left: Bretonne Tart $6.50, Clementine Cake $6.95, Amelie $6.95, Gateau Basque $5.95
Bretonne tart was filled with baked apples and cookie cream topped with almond praline. I loved the shortbread crust and the baked apples in the tart, but I wasn't a fan of the almond bits. 
The clementine cake had great flavour and I liked the tangy sweetness of the mandarin and citrus mousse and same with the Amelie, it was a great strawberry and raspberry cake, but I wasn't a huge fan of the coconut dacquoise - the crust was fantastic. 
The gateau basque had a almond vanilla filling with a strong liqueur scent (which was quite different from Le Gourmand's gateau basque) and it had a much harder sable crust, which I didn't like as much. 

Sept 1, 2012
I love the little Patisserie shops in North York. The shops are cute, the staff are super helpful and the cakes sound original and delicious. I've been wanting to try out Rahier Patisserie for a while, but my schedule hasn't allowed me to make it to the neighbourhood before 5pm. (Rahier's hours are Monday to Sunday 7am to 5pm).


The cute packaging

Pear tart
with almond cream and phyllo pastry 
The tart was simple with a nice flaky pastry, but in terms of taste and substance - I liked the tarts at Clafouti much better. 

All mousse cakes were $5.50 (unless otherwise mentioned). 

 
Chanel
Pistachio Mousse, raspberry-soaked sponge, raspberry gelee
This was my favourite cake out of the bunch. The pistachio and raspberry combination is amazing (see Sabatini in Rome). Rahier does fantastic chocolate - the white chocolate pistachio bark and the dark chocolate on top of the cake were amazing, but I think Patisserie de la Cigogne makes better pistachio desserts (mmm..bacarra and croq pistache). 

Apollinaire
Chocolate mousse, pistachio mousse, chocolate sponge, chocolate ladyfingers
I got really excited when I saw the words pistachio mousse, but this was more of a chocolate mousse dessert because the chocolate completely overwhelmed the lighter pistachio flavour. I wasn't too sure where the chocolate lady fingers came in here...

Mari Hari
coconut mousse, mango mousse, coconut dacquoise, papaya compote
This sounded like a refreshing summer dessert with all the seasonal fruits: papaya, coconut and mango. In this case, there were so many strong flavours that it felt overwhelming without one prominent flavour. There were flakes of coconut as well as coconut mousse, mango mousse and papaya puree. 

Fraiser $5.75 (Considered a fruit tart?)
Not only was this the most expensive, it was also our least favourite - the strawberries and cream layer in the middle was okay, but the cake was hard. 

Mille Feuille
It was okay, really flaky and the pastry cream was nice. I think I was expecting more almond flavour in the mille feuille, but it was decent (just a little pricey).

 
Forêt Noire
Dark chocolate mousse, whipped cream, chocolate sponge cake
It seems relatively simple and it was done very well. Beautifully presented and really decadent inside. I'm a huge fan of their chocolate - yum! 

Overall: I love their Chanel Cake and their desserts are really nice (but pricey). I think if I had to choose though, I would pick Patisserie de la Cigogne (the pistachio desserts there are a lot better). However, I would rank Rahier above Dufflet.  

Rahier on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment