Friday 12 February 2021

Craque de Creme

Feb 12, 2021

Craque de Creme has a mason jar return policy and I had quite a few jars from last time, so I made a trip to return them (since I couldn't figure out how to use them). While I was there, I was super tempted by all their sweet offerings, but I was particularly intrigued by the bostock (which I've never heard of)
Bostock 
It's a French pastry made with French toast and almond and it also came with a lot of syrup soaked into it. It was REALLY good! Light, airy and flaky like a croissant from the bread, but then it was also heavily laden with syrup and icing sugar on top. Super yummy, but very sweet. 

July 11, 2020
Pistachio, Viet coffee and raspberry caneles

Caneles are small pastries with rum and vanilla and they usually have a soft tender custard center and a dark thick caramelized crust. I haven't tried caneles before, so I thought this would be a great chance to try them with some of my favourite flavours like raspberry and pistachio. 

I really liked the pistachio canele especially the pistachio paste on the top with all the nuts. I wasn't able to immediately eat them (which is when they're supposed to be the best), but I got to try a little bit of the custard-y middle and the crust was pretty thick and kinda crunchy - however, they were a bit chewier than I expected. Once I reheated it a bit in the microwave, the middle was a lot more custard-y and the outside crust was hard. I also really liked the flavour of the raspberry and the viet coffee had a really strong bold coffee flavour which was nice. 

On to the main event here: the Crème Brûlées! I pre-ordered all the flavours I wanted in advance so that they would make the ones I wanted to try in advance (I was also super ambitious ordering so many crème brûlées, but it's not often that I'm in the St. Clair West area). There was a bit of a wait to get into the store since they only allowed one person at a time to go in and get their orders and it took a little while since the owner had to caramelize the sugar on top of the custards for each order.
Ube Crème Brûlée
The ube flavour in the custard really stood out and it was pretty strong (and it was so good!). The crème brûlée had good consistency and flavour. I would definitely get this one again. 

Honey Lavender crème brûlée
A really fragrant crème brûlée with the lavender flavour standing out really well and a nice sweetness to it from the honey. 

Pandan coconut
I loved that they added shredded coconut in the burnt sugar on top - it just really tied the whole dessert together with the pandan and coconut flavours. This was another of my favourites. 

Earl Grey, Baileys and Vegan Mango coconut
The Earl Grey custard had a strong concentrated tea flavour with a nice smooth consistency and the Bailey's had a strong boozy Irish cream flavour. Unfortunately, the vegan mango coconut did not hold up as well the next day when I ate it - the sugar didn't hold as well and the custard had a grainy texture (which I wasn't as big a fan of). 

No comments:

Post a Comment