Thursday 19 November 2020

First Markham Place Food Court

Nov 19, 2020
Leaf de Tea
Taro Bubble Tea $3
The taro milk tea didn't have a lot of flavour (from the taro or even the tea) and the tapioca was really squishy. I wouldn't get this drink here again. 

Wiang Kuk Thai Food
Tuk Tuk $8.50
This had the same base as Thai curry coconut noodle soup, but there was straw mushrooms and chicken in the dish.

Fukien Chow Mein $7.99
They looked like Shanghai noodles, but the sauce was spicy and had a strong shrimp paste flavour - very interesting noodles - definitely something different for me, but I didn't quite like them. 

Nov 11, 2020

Fruitti Mix
Taro bubble tea (less sweet)
 Unfortunately, it was not a great day for cheap taro bubble tea (the owner was super busy) - it was super powdery with lots of ice today and really sweet. Not exactly what I wanted - but it was super cheap.

Curry Laksa
It's been a while since I've eaten Malaysian food here, so I got a classic Malaysian dish: curry laksa. It was flavourful with distinct laksa seasoning, but it was really spicy - we forgot to ask them to dial down the spiciness. It was a good mix of noodles and soup (even if the soup was too spicy to drink) and it came with tofu pockets and meat (but no seafood)

October 28, 2020

Tianjin Fine Food
 
Meat Bao with onion $6 and Xiaolongbao $8 (and inside the meat bao)
We found the xiaolongbao skin was a little too thick for our liking and the filling had savoury meat and ginger, but we prefer the xiaolongbao at Shengjian King. The meat bao with onion was okay and there was a good portion of meat inside. 

HoHo Korean Food
Chicken Katsu $11.99
HoHo always serves up huge katsus and it comes with two portion, one on top of the other, and three side dishes of fried mandu, chapchae, kimchi and purple rice. The chicken katsu is pretty crispy (turns out it was crispier than Katsuya Markham when we tried them side by side) and it took much less time to prepare and pick up. The mandu and chapchae are also really good here and the purple rice definitely helps fill you up (in case you're a big eater and can handle all this food). Personally, I can never finish a portion of their katsu by myself here. The only thing I'm not really a fan of is their katsu sauce. 

Mei Nung Noodle House (in FMP plaza)
Beef Noodle Soup $12.40
We saw a lot of reviews about how good the beef noodle soup here, so we tried it out. The broth had a nice strong beef flavour, but I found the noodles and beef were only okay (maybe it's the takeout version?). I'm not sure it's worth the hype here since I feel like I've had better elsewhere.

October 1, 2020

Fruitti Mix
Taro Bubble Tea $2.99 with lychee jelly
Of the bubble tea places in FMP, this is probably the best fruity mix milk tea place (and it has the best taro bubble tea). It's not as powdery as the other places and it has a better mix and taro flavour compared to the others. The lychee jelly was pretty yummy too. 

Wiang Kuk Thai Food
Bangkok Chicken rice
It was kind of similar to Hainan Chicken rice with boneless chicken and a spicy sauce on the side. It was okay overall, but probably not something I would get again (I'd rather get the Hainan Chicken rice or just nasi lemak instead)

Sept 26, 2020
Yanagi Sushi
Chicken Katsu dinner
The chicken katsu was okay with a slightly sweet sauce and the salad was pretty good.
5 pieces assorted sushi
For a little extra money, we got five pieces of sushi - 3 salmon, one butterfish and one shrimp which was okay.

July 17, 2020
Wiang Kuk Thai Food
Thai Curry Coconut Noodle Soup $8.50
The noodle soup is so good with the curry coconut flavour and lots of pork and veggies! The coconut milk flavour was pretty strong (which is great for coconut lovers) 

Red Curry and Green Curry $10.60 each
The red curry was really good! It had a strong savoury and spicy flavour and I liked that it had carrots, peppers and broccoli (like a North American spin on the curry). The green curry, while good - wasn't as great and sweet as Pai's. The chicken was pretty good and it had a lot of bamboo shoots which was good. 

Markham Bakery and Cafe
Lychee Mille Crepe Cake $5
They had some really good crepe cake flavours (blueberry, lychee and taro), I got the lychee since I was also getting taro bubble tea. 
The crepe cake was okay, but it didn't really have a lot of lychee flavour except for one layer of thick lychee jelly in the middle. It had a bit of a sour taste to it from the cream in between the layers, and the crepes were rather distinct layers in the cake - which made it not as soft and easy to eat as some other crepe cake places. 

Tasty House
Taro Bubble Tea with tapioca $2.99 without tax
There are a lot of bubble tea options at First Markham Place all in the food court (A long time ago, I tried all of them but I always forget which one is the best - I usually go to Tan Good Yan since it was the cheapest, their taro bubble tea doesn't taste like all powder and I like their tea, but they have since closed.)

The taro bubble tea was pretty powdery here, but it was mixed well so it wasn't too grainy. The tapioca were super chewy, hard and slightly frozen. I got the drink less sweet, but it was still pretty sweet - maybe next time I should get the unsweetened version. Regardless, I was still pretty happy with my drink for $3.15 with tax.

July 5, 2020
Shengjian King
The xiaolongbao were so good, we came back again. 

Xian jian bao (fried steamed buns) $5.99
 Fried steamed buns were okay, the dough was a lot thicker and the buns were pretty big. The filling was the same as the xiaolongbao (and I prefer the thin skin of the xiaolongbao more). 

 Xiaolongbao $7.99
Excellent with perfectly thin skin and tasty meat and soup inside.

Happy Fine Food
I've been watching way too many Chinese historical dramas and I've been really tempted to eat their desserts (flower cakes and cookies), so when I passed by Happy Fine Food, I couldn't help picking up their almond cookies since they look exactly like the ones I've seen in my dramas!
Almond cookies and Kai Chai Paeng (little chicken cookies)
The almond cookies were super crumbly on the outside, but hard in the middle. They reminded me of super crumbly Persian chickpea cookies, but they had a good nutty almond flavour.
Kai chai paeng are cookies with fermented bean curd (so beware if you don't like the taste). It has a pretty strong flavour that tastes kind of fishy to me. This cookie was pretty hard, sticky and chewy, I wasn't really a fan, but my grandman loves kai chai paeng cookies (so we bought a box for her). 

June 27, 2020
There are so many options in First Markham Place's food court! We picked up a few items for dinner - there's definitely an advantage for food courts during the COVID pandemic since they are rather contactless places to eat (or grab your food and eat at home). 

Wiang Kuk Thai Food

 
Coconut Noodle Soup with pork
Really good curry flavour with good soup and noodles

Pad Thai (medium spicy)
It had good pad thai flavour, but the spiciness overpowered it

Yanagi Sushi 

Chicken Katsu $7.50 
Nice thin katsu with a good crispy outer layer. The katsu sauce was savoury and sweet, but I prefer the katsu sauce from Yummy BBQ or HoHo. The soy sauce rice and salad was nice - I feel like I haven't had salad for a while, so it was quite refreshing.

Shengjian King
A new place selling dumplings and bao
Xiaolongbao $7.90
These xiaolongbao were really good! They were freshly made and had perfectly thin skin. It was also surprising since they managed to hold a lot of delicious meat and soup inside each little morsel. I would highly recommend the xiaolongbao here!

 Magic Fusion

Original eggettes $3.70
The eggettes were really crispy and dry, without much flavour. It was also a little weird that they sparkled? They smelled really good, but were super dry and the batter wasn't very good. I would give this a miss (I couldn't even finish this batch)

No comments:

Post a Comment